Skip to main content
Translate
Default
English
Español
Français

User Access


asdf12
Leap -  Ad - Empowering Contractors
Forum pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
Directory pinned ad
RLW pinned ad
Translate
Default
English
Español
Français

60 yr old Rock Chimney

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author
Posts
June 20, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Chuck2

Guy wanted to know if there was anything "simple" I could do to stop this chimney leak! :woohoo:

June 20, 2014 at 11:35 a.m.

Chuck2

You can see in the 2nd pic that the previous roofers re-used the flashing pan and even left one of the old dark brown shingles in place from the prior roof. The rocks are falling off of it and the mortar is bad. Some of the rock is shot. Check out the miserable tie in above the ridge line of the gable below in the 3rd pic. The tar speaks for itself.

June 20, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

Old School

Tear it down to the roof level, lay concrete block high enough to attach the counter-flashing to and then do the rest with stone. Pour a concrete cap with flue liners. $ 5,000.00. That is as simple as it gets. Look at the mess they made of the valley dormer roof in picture #2.

June 20, 2014 at 10:27 p.m.

Chuck2

Good Eye Old School. I was concentrating on whether or not I even wanted to fool with this chimney so much that I didn't even noticed how messed up that valley was.

I told him it needed torn down, flashed and re-built. I gave an even lower price than you quoted and he nearly had a stroke so I don't think I will be having to worry with it anyways. The last guy put all that tar all around it for $200 and promised it would never leak again. :blink:

June 22, 2014 at 4:33 p.m.

natty

There is no use rebuilding that chimney unless he is also willing to put on an entire new roof.


« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - Roofing Week
Translate
Default
English
Español
Français

User Access


asdf12
Leap -  Ad - Empowering Contractors
Information pinned ad
Tremco -  Ad - Spring Into Action With a Roof Inspection
Metalforming -  Ad - April 2022
Forum pinned ad

Loading…
Loading the web debug toolbar…
Attempt #