What do you do on slopes lower than 3/12?
« Back To Roofers TalkTinner thats one helluva job there bud! :cheer: They used to make dimensionals that overlapped/interlocked instead of butting together. However, they only overlapped like 1/8 inch or less which will still not stop the water from tracking over and under the shingles in extreme cases. :huh: We recently reroofed AND REDECKED a ladys home that had a 5/12 pitch with leaks here and there due to the old plank decking being unlevel. ( very old house ) 90% or more of the roofers around here would not have re-decked this house ( decking was not spaced more than 1/4 inch at the widest spot and wasn't that unlevel really but it was causing several leaks during hard rains not to mention a not so desirable appearance ) and she would of ended up with the same problems again ( probably sooner than later ) except newer shingles on the roof. :unsure:
---We have to occasionally roof 2/12 mobile homes. For many years our method is complete tear off and deck repair first. ---Then we install 2 layers of ASTM 15lb running 18 inch exposure which becomes to 2 layers. ---Then we install 3 tab style shingles (usually 30 year) at 5 inch exposure. We have to use AJC hammers for gauges as our guns only go down to 5 1/8th inch. We decline laminates for this slope...You can hardly see the roofing anyway at that slope and I think they do not lay flat enough for a 2/12. ---Finally we mastic UNDER all the pipe & vent flashings. We use metal vents and no-caulks rather than plastic as mastic & plastic do not mix. ---I have used this method for 20 years and have never had a call back. I do not live in snow country which would strongly recommend Ice & Water shield. Mobile homes are usually all straight gable with no valleys. There are some with valleys but we line the valleys and nail 12 inches away from the valley center. ---I recently roofed a friends house that was 2/12 and somewhat difficult. I required that we cover the entire house with Ice & Water barrier. As I remember it was 12 rolls at $90/roll or an additional $1,000. I wanted to install granulated torchdown rather than 3-tab but my friend was adament that he wanted shingles. So be it...pay for the Ice & Water. Actually we would have charged more for torch anyway. ---For the 6 sq job I would have popped out some granulated torch samples matching the comp and tried to convince the owner that it would hardly have shown from the ground. The lower the slope the less it can be seen from the ground. Lanny
The lowest pitch we use 3-tabs on is a 4/12 -- We will put a dimensional on a 3/12 either half lap felt or ice shield completly - on 3-tabs every rain slot starts an inch below the shingle underneath.
Also on three tabs the sealant is on the front instead of bottom of shingles -- so when nailing a 3-tab correctly you should be putting the nail about 1/2" up from the slot and 1/2" under the sealant -- on Dimensional the sealant would be covering the nail or below it so water cannot back up to the penetration as easy - sealant is on back and bottom.
We also use the peel n stick liberty - and is fairly easy to do i prefer this method on any 2/12 - 3/12 -- If below this pitch or flat We usually Use EPDM and tapered ISO to create some pitch.
Then again manufactures like to change their sealant strip every now and then We use GAF mainly. I know the old OC supremes used to seal down tight within minutes
I reckon you can say WANKER on here Mike.....you an' me's the only ones who know what it means :laugh:
that's some mighty fine torchin' there Moike!
I normally ski on slopes like that. A "snowplow", On steep slopes I just turn faster!
Don't know what I would do without you guys! Call me if you need a translator between you and your Spanish crews! Gracias :)
Just want to say thanks a lot. This is the absolute best place for feedback.











